Do you fully understand the Spanish Traffic Laws?
Are you 100% certain that you have all the correct paperwork, insurance, MOT (ITV) certificated required to drive confidently on the roads in Spain?
Are you confident that you do not have any unpaid fines?
If you have answered “yes” to these two questions then we would like to congratulate you.
If you have answered “no” to either question, do not worry! You are amongst at least 98% of the expat population here in Spain.
The traffic laws are clearly set, however, whether you are caught out when not complying to them is very much like playing the Lottery. Whether you are stopped or not for breaking any rules can simply depend on where you are, who is patrolling on that day and maybe even what mood they are in. We hear so many people say “well I haven´t been stopped yet and there always police in our area” … these people are simply playing the lottery , the only difference being there is not a winning ticket as a prize, merely a “multa” (fine) when their luck runs out!
Recently, it seems that many people are receiving unexpected traffic fines with hefty penalty tags . There have also been incidents where people have been arrested and detained for unpaid fines that they had not paid in the past. If this has happened to you, do not hesitate to contact CCB Spain and they will assist you to avoid this happening in the future. Alternatively, contact us and we will provide you with all the information you require.
You may also be interested in reading the following posts (NB new posts to follow shortly):
- How to Pay Traffic Fines in Spain
- Spanish ITV (MOT) on UK Registered Vehicles
- Buying and Selling a Spanish Plated Vehicle in Spain
- Driving Licences in Spain
- Selling UK Plated Vehicles in Spain
- Importing your Vehicle to Spain
By Lisa Sadleir
Latest posts by Lisa Sadleir (see all)
- How Make the Family Computer Safe for Children - 26th September 2022
- A Madrid Education Guide: Making your education decisions easier! - 8th September 2022
- Best Family App: 5 of The Most Useful and Fun-Filled Options - 16th August 2022