It’s that time of year again … after weeks of over eating and excessive drinking during the festive season , (and this Christmas we did go over the top ) , the “D word” hovers menacingly at the back of our minds.
Well, having completed the Detox Plan last year and punishing our bodies to little avail we have this year ousted the Detox diet and jumped on the “lifestyle change” bandwagon . That is the 2012 jargon isn’t it?
So rather than really horrible boiled cabbage soup recipes that we forced ourselves to gulp down for only 7 days (of the whole year) , we are going to try new recipes using more healthy and alternative ingredients for as long as we can.
I must admit, so far so good! Seven days down and let’s see how many more to go. This dessert healthy recipe was this weekend’s treat and it was welcomed by all family members. Let us know if you try it and what you think …
Coming soon … Beetroot Brownies!
Carrot & Ginger Zesty Loaf
You will need:
100g brown sugar
100g golden syrup/black treacle
zest from 1 orange
zest from 1 lemon
1 large carrot (peeled & grated)
5 balls stem ginger (very finely chopped)
175g self-raising flour
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4. Grease a loaf tin.
- Gently heat the butter, sugar, treacle/syrup and zests in a large saucepan until everything has melted.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and add the grated carrot, flour (sieved) , bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, salt & pepper and eggs. Stir well until all the ingredients are evenly mixed together and you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes. The loaf will rise and brown slightly. ( If in doubt, test with a sharp knife to check that it is completely cooked)
Optional Topping (If you are not worried about the calories!)
Sift 150g of icing sugar into a bowl & stir in the juice of a lemon or orange until you have a smooth mixture. Cover the top of the loaf with the icing (once it has cooled down!)
Latest posts by Lisa Sadleir (see all)
- How To Get Settled Into Your New Home & Location - 18th March 2021
- Where are the Best, Safest and Cheapest Places to Live in Spain? - 9th November 2020
- A Sand Free Towel: A Reality or an Oxymoron? - 30th August 2020